Baking Soda Splinter Hoax, Baking Soda Splinter
A splinter is a small piece of metal, wood, or any other material that penetrates the upper layer of the skin. Sometimes it bleeds and is painful most of the time.
How does baking soda remove splinters?
A lot of people don’t’ know how to get a splinter out with baking soda, or how to remove a splinter quickly.
Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate(NaHCO3) that is used in powdered form and gets activated when comes in contact with water. It is easily available in the market by the name of splinter baking soda. It is commonly used in the kitchen for raising purposes, but it also has other uses than just in the kitchen. For example in:
- Cleaning: When activated with water, it can remove tough stains from cloth, utensils, and from any other place where the dirt is hard to remove from.
- Laundry: Is also used as a water softener.
- Chemical industry: To make a number of chemicals.
- Medicinal purposes: It works as an antacid.
- Toothpaste: It is used in many kinds of toothpaste.
- Fire extinguishers: when it comes in contact with heat, it releases carbon dioxide and water.
- Pest control: When insects feed upon it, it results in a collapse of their vital body functions.
Other than these, it can also be used to remove a splinter. The baking soda powder can help you to remove the splinter from the skin in an easy manner. First of all, you need to wash your hands properly and dry it with the help of a towel. After this, you can make a plan to remove the splinter without facing the pain. The use of the baking soda for splinter can also help in the expulsion of the splinter from the body. To remove a finger splinter using baking soda splinter please follow these steps:
Material required which are to be kept handy: Tweezers, Few bandages, Sterilised cotton, Magnifying lens, Baking soda, Water, Antiseptic liquid, Cotton-pads.
- When the splinter goes under the skin, do not squeeze it as it may make it worse.
- If the splinter is invisible use a magnifying lens to see it.
- Never delay taking medical help if you think it is required. If the wound is bleeding badly or the splinter has penetrated too deep into the skin then do not wait to consult a medical practitioner.
- If the situation seems under control then start cleaning the area with a mild antiseptic.
- In a bowl add some baking soda and add water to it in small quantities till you make a paste. The paste should be thick enough for you to spread easily on the wound/splinter.
- Spread the paste using a soft cloth or a cotton pad. Try using sterilized cotton to prevent any further infections. Be very careful while spreading the paste. Do not push hard as that may push the splinter deeper into the skin.
- Use a band-aid to cover it. Be careful that the cotton area of the band-aid strip covers the splinter and the sticky area sticks on the skin around the splinter.
- Leave it at-rest for a day and then remove it. The splinter would come out with the band-aid. In case it doesn’t, it would at least become visible enough for you to pull it out. Use a sterilized tweezer to pull it out of the skin.
- If this does not work, then you may repeat the procedure for another 24-hours.
- The wound may bleed after the splinter comes out of the skin. Clear the wound with soap and water. Apply some antiseptic on it and then cover it with a clean cloth or a bandage.
There are other ways to remove a splinter using:
- A tape: A tape will stick to the splinter that can help to pull it out.
- Small shot glass: Use a vodka shot glass to create pressure on the skin around the splinter.
- Only a tweezer: If the splinter is visible enough then pull it away using a tweezer.
- Needle: Use a needle to clear the skin above the splinter, so the splinter becomes visible for you to pull it out.
- Hydrogen peroxide: Soak a cotton pad in hydrogen peroxide, and it would make the splinter easier to remove.
- Glue: Spread a layer of glue to dry and then pull the layer. The splinter would come out with it.
- Banana peel: Rub a banana peel which will further soften the skin and make it easier to pull the splinter out.
- Onion or potato: Cut a slice of onion or potato and place it over the wound. Secure it with a bandage and leave it for a few hours.
- Epsom salt: It soaks water from the skin that shrinks the skin a little to pop the splinter out.
- White vinegar: Due to the acidic property of white vinegar, it pushes the splinter out.
- Lavender oil: Lavender oil has antimicrobial properties that can be used to treat the wound while treating the splinter or after taking it out.
- Honey: Honey has antibacterial and soothing properties that can be used after or while treating the splinter.
- Bread and milk: Soak a piece of bread in milk and then place it over the splinter. Use a bandage to secure the wound and leave it for 24 hours. The splinter would come out with the bread.
Using the baking soda paste can help to remove the splinter on the finger in an effective manner. The paste of the baking soda to remove splinter works effectively as compared to the other methods. You just need to apply the paste for one day to remove the splinter naturally from the skin. In this way, you can reduce the pain and the other issues that you are facing.
Most of the people are facing issues and pain due to the splinters. If you are also one of them then removing it is not as easy as you think. Some people opt to use the needles for digging the skin whereas others use effective methods. Using splinter removal baking soda powder is also one of the effective methods that you can consider to reduce all the issues. With the proper use of the baking soda paste for splinters, you can easily remove the splinter and get relief from the pain to live a happy life.
This is an article for how to remove a splinter with baking soda. If you like this article about how to get out a splinter from a finger, thumb, body, foot, you can just share it on your social account or leave any comment here on how to get a splinter out with baking soda!
Hello Readers !! Natalie and Caitlyn Bell are the founders of Healtholine, They started Healtholine to provide a platform where they could share informative articles related to health, fitness, beauty, weight loss, etc Natalie is a featured author at various authoritative blogs in the health and fitness industry. Connect with both sisters to know more