Dogs are some of the most popular pets. Even though there are specific foods to feed your dog, sometimes dog treats can provide the right bonding experience. The great thing is that you don’t have to buy treats from the store. You can add love to treats by making them yourself. Well, in case you are not sure where to start, we have a few dogs treats homemade recipe options that could be perfect.
Making a pet-friendly dog donut is easy and your canine friend will be very happy. Here is how to do it.
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of oats
- Peanut butter
- Bacon bits
- Greek yogurt
- Start by preheating the oven to 375֯. Spray the donut pan and then move it aside.
- Take a large bowl and combine all the ingredients except the bacon bits and the yogurt. Mix them up until the dough is formed.
- Take the dough and press it into the donut pan with your hands. Fill each of the donut pans and press as firmly as you can until they stick together.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 375֯ F for about 14 minutes.
- Allow it to cool and remove the donuts from the pan. It’s now time to decorate them with the topping.
- Start by setting out a small bowl of Greek yogurt and another for bacon bits.
- Dip each donut carefully into the yogurt and sprinkle it with the bacon bits.
- Once the bacon bits are all spread out, place the donuts in the freezer. This will harden the yogurt.
- After a few minutes, remove the donuts from the refrigerator and serve them. The dog treats can be eaten right away or stored in the fridge for a later date. But don’t keep them for long. The yogurt might start to get sticky.
Spinach, Carrot, and Zucchini Treats
In case you want to give your dog a healthy veggie based treat, then this Spinach, Carrot, and Zucchini dog treat homemade recipe will be perfect for you. Here’s a simple way to make it.
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup of peanut butter
- ½ cup of old fashioned oats
- 1 zucchini, shredded.
- 1 carrot, peeled and also shredded
- 3 cups of whole wheat flour. You can add more if needed.
- 1 cup baby spinach, thinly chopped.
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with some parchment paper. If you don’t have parchment paper you can use a silicone baking mat.
- In a different bowl, beat the pumpkin puree, the eggs, and the peanut butter. Mix it up for about two minutes until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Continue now and gradually add the old fashioned oats into the mixture. Add the flour too at low speeds until it’s fully incorporated into the final mixture.
- On a flat surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. The surface should be lightly floured to ensure the dough doesn’t stick. Keep rolling the dough until it’s ¼ inch thick.
- Use some cookie cutters to cut out the desired shape. Place the cut outs into the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the sheet into the oven and let it bake until the edges become golden brown. This shouldn’t take more than 25 minutes.
- Let it cool completely before you serve.
Chicken and Wild Rice Biscuits
In case your dog is used to a natural diet, this treats will be perfect. The dog treats homemade recipe allows you to make simple treats that won’t upset your dog’s stomach.
- Start off by boiling a piece of boneless chicken breast. Mask it with some wild rice and allow it to cool. It’s often better to do this a day ahead and refrigerate the end product.
- Puree the boneless chicken and the rice with some chicken stock in a mini food processor or a simple blender.
- Once you are done, add some salt, flour, and eggs into the pureed chicken and rice. Mix well in a bowl until the dough is formed.
- On a flat lightly floured board, roll the dough until it’s ½ an inch thick.
- Use the dog bone cookie cutters to cut out the dough. If you don’t have them, you can buy on Amazon for less than $5. Any cookie cutter should work.
- Once the shapes are cut out, bake them for about 30 minutes. Allow them to harden before you remove them from the oven.
- The treats can be stored in an airtight container or the refrigerator for up to six months. This ensures that your dog has a long term supply of tasty and healthy treats.
Pumpkin Oatmeal Dog Treats
These yummy pumpkin treats are easy to make and they are a lot healthier. Here is the full recipe:
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- Two and a half cups of rolled oats
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup of peanut butter
- Start by adding the pumpkin, the peanut butter, the water, and the oats into a large bowl. Stir the mixture until all the ingredients are fully mixed.
- Create small 1 inch balls from the mixture. Roll each of the balls into additional oats.
- Take the balls and place them into a rimmed sheet pan. Put them in the fridge until they become firm. The process normally takes about an hour.
- Once they are hard enough, remove them from the freezer, and serve.
- The dog treats can be served in small amounts as the rest remain in the freezer. The harder they get, the better.
Giving your dogs the perfect treat shouldn’t be hard. With the right dog treats homemade recipe, you can make any treats you want anytime. The simple options above are perfect to start with but there are so many others out there you can try. So what are you waiting for? Give these recipes a try and let us know what you think in the comments down below.